If you are an Edinburgh West constituent and have a child with special needs, John Barrett has prepared a Special Needs Pack which you may find useful. To apply for a pack please contact the constituency office or use the online form. As the pack will be tailored to your needs, we will require some information on your particular situation.
For the past four years, I have been promoting a campaign for safer communities in Edinburgh West. As part of this initiative, I have recently launched a new Safer communities pack to help combat the problems of bogus doorstep callers and internet and telephone scams.
The new Safer Communities Pack is now available from the Edinburgh West constituency office. The pack is fully endorsed by Lothian and Borders police and is full of information and advice on ways to keep local communities safe. It includes advice on everything from the best way to avoid unsolicited calls and mail, to information on how to set-up and run neighbourhood watch schemes.
I have produced this pack following constituent concerns about bogus doorstep callers, silent calls, and mail and internet scams. Recent press reports of bogus doorstep traders operating across the city have raised public awareness of the problem.
I firmly believe that when we are in our own homes we all have a fundamental right to be left in peace free from undue disturbance and interference.
Scams and fraudsters generally prey on the vulnerable. By looking out for ourselves and each other, we can all help make our homes and neighbourhoods safer and keep them that way.
The new Safer Communities Pack is available from the Edinburgh West constituency office at 1A Drum Brae Avenue, 0131 339 0339, or you can order it online.
Included in the pack in more detail are the following:
• A Guide on Beating Bogus callers.
• A Guide to the Mail Preference service- How to receive the mail you want.
• Advice on stopping unwanted telephone calls.
• Information on Recognising scams and get rich quick schemes.
• A practical guide to crime reduction; including information on protecting your Household and Property, Business and retail, vehicles, community and personal possessions.
• A bogus calling card for your front door (advises callers that they must provide I.D and that resident does not buy or sell at the door).
• A Contact list of useful local numbers.
• Information on setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme in your area.